Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guilty pleasures

Picture from the world wide web


I like to think that I practice what I preach. And so far I think I actually do. I do not waste food, I do not buy bottled water, I do not use the dryer (maybe because I don't own one), I do try to bike everywhere I go or use public transportation. Admittedly I could cut down on my meat intake.
But there are other things I could do as well, probably a thousand other things!

E.g. is it really neccesary that I color my hair?
  • Hair color can make me allergic and make my head twice the size
  • Hair color contains a lot of chemicals - so I assume that extra cleansing of the waste water is neccesary
  • And as with all products - the production and transportation of hair color emits CO2
  • And last of all - black, brown, red, blond - whom really cares? (Well I do obviously)
And there are other guilty pleasures: - Wouldn't it be better to the environment if I didn't buy that much clothes, eventhough I give my old clothes to the Red Cross? Wouldn't it be better if I wasn't using my laptop and watching TV at the same time? - Wouldn't it be better if I didn't print my notes before my exam and used my laptop instead?

Maybe I'm vain, but I like to think that some of the things I already do for the environment  compensates for my guilty pleasures, making them more legitimate. Rationally, I know that the more I can do for the environment, the better.

I would love if you could tell me a bit about what you guys do to help save the planet, but also if you have any guilty pleasures like me, and what thoughts you have about it.

1 comment:

  1. I think changing the world can only change myself!! a lot of people do not think about animals, nature, and think only about money and profit! this is terrible! I do not know how to help our planet! but I know that together we will do it!!!

    ReplyDelete